Call for Papers
The Society for Terrorism Research and the Institute of Security and Global Affairs (ISGA) of Leiden University announce a Call for Papers for the 2016 – 10th Annual International Conference – Counter-Terrorism Research & Practice: Addressing Key Societal Challenges.
Proposals for paper presentations, symposia, posters, and other formal sessions will be considered for inclusion in the program if they are received by 1 August, 2016.
Conference attendees are not required to present.
This call is open to academics and practitioners alike. Creating opportunities for practitioners and academics to meet and exchange ideas in a constructive setting is one of the goals of this year’s conference.
- Counter-terrorism in theory and practice
- Understanding involvement in / disengagement from terrorism
- The role of beliefs
- Reintegration of extremists and terrorists
- Foreign fighters
- Syria and Iraq
- ISIS, Jabhat al Nusra, al-Qaeda, as-Shabaab, AQIM, AQAP etc.
- Lone actor extremists
- Terrorist attacks in Europe (France, Belgium etc.)
- Right-wing extremism & terrorism
- Critical perspectives on contemporary terrorism research
- Countering Violent Extremism
- Role differentiation within terrorist groups
- (Social) Psychology of terrorism
- Role of the Internet
- Terrorist (tactical) innovation
- Terrorism and prisons
- Cyber terrorism
- Emerging threats
Please submit your proposal in MS Word format as an attachment to an email addressed to STR2016@fgga.leidenuniv.nl. Use the subject line: “STR 2016 Conference Proposal.” Please note that we must be able to manipulate the document to create the conference program.
All proposals must include:
• Author/Presenter Name(s) & Title(s)
• Mailing Address(es)
• Email Address(es)
• Website URL
• Title and Abstract (Abstract Limit – 500 words)
Biographical information and the abstract provided will be published in the conference program, and may be published as part of conference proceedings in the STR Journal, Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression, unless requested otherwise.
Special instructions for Symposia:
· Submit symposium abstract identifying the moderator, with the name of each presenter, and topic of each presentation.
· Each symposium participant will email their contribution’s abstract, identifying in which symposium they will present.
• Papers, Symposia, Posters, and Round-Table Proposals: 1 August, 2016
• Notification of Acceptance: 1 September, 2016
• Early Bird Conference Payment: 1 October, 2016
All submissions and submission inquiries should be sent to Mr. Bart Schuurman (ISGA) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the 2016 Call for Papers Flyer (PDF) for additional information.